"Stood the mournful Mother weeping, close to her Son to the last."
Jacopone da Todi
This opening verse of the liturgical chant “Stabat Mater” contains the sense of loss and dignity of all the famous prayer. A heartbreaking verse for the strong crudeness, full of suggestions and evocative words, which have given way to the creation of the choreographic solo.
The choice of the initial verb, which opens the long martyrdom of this woman, is singular and significant: “Stay”.
And it is precisely on the concept of “standing” that the authors’ research focuses. A stasis that slowly breaks the body and the soul, while trying to resist the collapse, this rampant emptiness that invades and drags her more and more down.
In the contrasting qualities, frenziedly drawn in space, an attempt is made to achieve some form of unattainable balance. Fragility and strength are the binomial that those who go through mourning cannot give up in order to survive.
At the same time, the choreography is a continuous dialogue with the viewer also: whose fault is it? Who was it that relegated me to this pain? Why me and not you? How will I survive?
Moreover, if in the middle of the original composition the faithful prays to the Mother to give him a little of her pain to relieve her of this suffering, here it is the dancer who pours out on the audience a river of feelings, guilt, invocations of help, memories, in a growing and incessant pathos.
The music, composed specifically for the performance, is a rewriting of Giovanni Battista Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater in which only the echo of the original classicism remains, while being guided on stage by screeching sounds and obsessive beats.
Together with the dancer there is a moment of suspension and disorientation: a pressing speed, a pain that remains, an unattainable mourning process, an unexpected relapse.
- MolfettaViva.it – February 26th, 2022
- Quindici-Molfetta.it – February 26th, 2022
- MolfettaLive.it – February 26th, 2022
- FondazioneMusicaleValente.com – March 2nd, 2022
- Gazzetta del Mezzogiorno – March 25th, 2022
- IlTaccodiBacco.it – March 26th, 2022
- PugliainFesta.it – March 26th, 2022
- MolfettaLive.it – March 27th, 2022
- MolfettaIlFatto.net – March 28th, 2022
- September 7th, 2023, Klub Żak (Gdansk Dance Festival) – Gdansk, Poland
- March 26th, 2022 @ Chiesa della Madonna della Pace (Festival Inflammatus) – Molfetta (BA)